What do you do for a living? or Fun (boating not allowed)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't post often but it has been interesting reading what a lot of you folks do to expense your boating addictions. I am a member of a few forums and find the wide diversity of members interesting.
Personally I would love to spend time with the family, hunt, fish and lead others into a life time love of the outdoors as a full time job. Since I am not independently wealthy I finance my past time as a Registered Nurse in an ICU and Emergency Department.

I install gun ranges... Not the building, the armor baffles, bullet traps, stalls... Everything that gets shot at. It keeps me traveling a lot, sometimes 3-4 weeks at a time. Spend a lot of time in hotels, and eat in restaurants a lot.
Got a place in NC I run to when not working, and fish when I can. I love to go cruising around in my little boat with the cell phone turned off. Or just sit a listen to the river( not big enough for a boat) from the porch.

I am currently serving in the us air force. In my free time i take one or two of my four boys out fishing. I spend alot of time in the outdoors passing on my passion for the wilderness to my next generation. This fall will bring a new adventure to my world. This is the year my oldest boy (7 yrs) gets to go hunting for the first time with dad. Currently "vacationing" for 7 months in the middle east.

I'm medically retired from the Army. Big Pittsburgh Pirate baseball fan. Spend my time training one of my dogs to be my service dog, cycling (bicycle) and learning guitar. Got most of my injanuity from my dad and experience in the army. I used to be into kayak fishing. But my back couldn't take it anymore.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=357338#p357338 said:
tonynoriega » 27 Jun 2014, 10:42[/url]"]OR...for some of you old timers... BESIDES BOATING ... what do you do with your time?

I see wide range of knowledge here and thought it might be interesting to see what you all do with your time.

Me, I work the normal 8-5 doing web development, graphic design, print and web. Been in this field since about 2005 or so.

When I am not working, I also train Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

I do some carp shooting when I can, and got the fever for hunting about 2 years ago and it has taken ahold of my soul.

My claim to fame... My buddy and I were the centerfolds (photo spread) in the October 2013 Field and Stream magazine.

Yes, it's hot and sexy.

STL Cardinals fan since I can remember... hence the "Cardinal" red stripes on my boat...
Raiders fan second because I cant stand losing...
I also do BJJ, I am a brown belt under Master Ricardo Murgel. I own and operate a mixed martial arts, Brazilain Jiu Jitsu and kickboxing school in Atlanta called KnuckleUp. My other passion is fishing, fly fishing specifically, I fish as much as possible. I usually only wade, but I am trying to change that. That's what the jon is for. :)

Product engineering for Cummins turbos. Been in manufacturing for 37 years. Retirement is heavy on my mind now.
Still enjoy the work, and love mentoring to the junior engineers, but the body feels the wear and tear of running mills, lathes, etc more and more each passing year.
Hunting and fishing has been a lifelong passion. I'll do both till my last breath. Living in the lowcountry of South Carolina, gives me plenty of opportunity to do both.
I also have 2 of the best grandkids a man could ever have. Love it when I can get them in the outdoors.

Lets see.
The most notable job's have been Truck driving for 15ish years. Only ever hauled 105.500lbs nothing lighter. Never scratched a truck or a ticket either!
Well driller for a few years. Was fun but just wandered away from that for some reason.
Last 10 years been a A&P for a Aircraft manufacturer https://questaircraft.com/ I build everything from the crew doors forward + the landing gear and a small amount of avionics (Garmin G1000) and engine rigging P&W PT6A. Im pretty good with Aluminum sheet metal fab(skins) and Structural (frames, stringers and sutch) and Fiberglass forming and repair. Im thinking aluminum boats should be easy. Now them pesky 2 strokes are another matter :roll:

currently working for an Italian company building pipelines, right now we are building a 530 km, 30" duct. im in the QA/QC department as a Coating Inspector. its fun and keeps me out of the office most of the times.

Well I work 6am-230pm Mon-Fri for Briggs and Stratton at Ferris Industries building commercial Zero Turn lawnmowers. We build several companies products. SnapperPRO, Snapper, Massey Ferguson, Simplicity, and Ferris.
is700low1012.jpg
S200XTBVP-Propane.jpg

In my free time I work on Motorcycles, ATV's, Snowmobiles, etc in a shop I built inside my fathers garage. This is my 2006 GSXR 600 stunt bike i was building.
IMG_20130330_192947 - Copy.jpg

But I have ton of hobbies. Archery, Skateboarding, building Rifles, Hunting...im an outdoors kind of guy. I hate being inside.

I've been an AWS certified welder for almost 2 decades. Everything from structural welding, to restaurant equipment, to boats and boat trailers, and everything in between.

In the wintertime, I also do some commercial shellfishing, as an oyster harvester (been on TV twice for that, first time was on the History Channel, the second one has yet to appear on HGTV, we filmed it a few months ago) My knowledge of the water and marine resource laws, and in particular my efforts over the years to bring violators to justice, has actually earned me a few job offers both from DNR, as well as the Dept of Health and Environmental Control's Shellfish Division. The most recent offer being this past January...which I was strongly considering until my life-altering event in February (encephalitis)

Of course, I seem to be a jack of all trades, as I end up doing a lot of odd jobs from electrical to plumbing, to landscaping, as well.

And then there's a few things I have certifications for that I never use, like my PADI rescue diver/medic first aid, or my NRA handgun instructor certifications. But then, that kinda goes along with my hobbies, as I am an expert marksman, both with handguns, and rifles. Back when ammo was cheaper and components readily available, I did a lot of PPC, IPSC, IDPA, and even Cowboy Action shooting, as well as skeet shooting, and even high-power rifle matches.

I'm the trucking manager and Safety director for a 7 store John Deere distributor. In my spare time I'm a full time hubby and Grandfather. 4th grandbaby born today. Welcome Madison Leigh! I also am Deputy Fire Chief at the local fire department. And when do I fish????????

Dog :fishing:

SSG in the Army currently geared toward being a 20 year career if my back can hold up the Artillery world for awhile. I fish about 4-6 times a month from my tinny in Northern SM waters. Getting ready to pcs from fort drum to fort benning. Looking forward to Eufala!

I am a welder I do mostly aluminum work building filter separaters for the military and airline industry. Hobbies muzzleloader ,Turkey hunt and fishing

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=365214#p365214 said:
Dark3 » 02 Sep 2014, 15:20[/url]"]SSG in the Army currently geared toward being a 20 year career if my back can hold up the Artillery world for awhile. I fish about 4-6 times a month from my tinny in Northern SM waters. Getting ready to pcs from fort drum to fort benning. Looking forward to Eufala!

Know how Eufala got it's name? The cop looks in your drivers window and says "Eufala me to the courthouse, boy!".....{{{BBBRRR}}}

True story!
LMAO

DSCN3598.jpg

Search and rescue.

Although, after 24+ years retirement is coming very soon.

About 6 more years and I'm done.

Figure I'll retire and open a small engine shop in the back yard or something. Work in the summers, close up and head south in the winters.

Started back in July as a appraiser for a local collision centre after being unemployed for 10 months.

Entering my 15th year as a member of the Army Reserve; I'm a Sergeant in the Artillery. Did a tour to Afghanistan in 2006-2007. Spend weekends doing Gunnery. This year will be a test to see if I'll be continuing with it, as I've pretty much achieved my career goals and it's harder to get time off for training.

For fun I love to fish, I like it even better when I catch them. In the winter I play rec hockey. I'm also a volunteer fire fighter, 2nd year doing that. I enjoy cooking, part of the Italian in me. I find old outboards and old front mount fire trucks interesting. I really do need to get my motorcycle back on the road. Guinness is my favorite beer.

Hi, my name's Jeff, and I have a tin boat addiction. My wife says that she doesn't need a job, she can just be the receptionist for the boat dealership that I've started. :mrgreen:

I'm 20yrs a millwright. I hunt anything with feathers, and race harescrambles with my sons.

I just recently started as a Conductor for the Union Pacific Railroad. So that keeps me traveling and away from home quite a bit. Usually 3-4 days a week in a hotel room.

Free time is spend fishing, hunting, and golfing...oh yeah and spending some time with the wife.

Latest posts