Freezing Rain/Ice Storm

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea, Wacth The Ice Fallen :shock:

One more rant on the generator's, A certain supply store (known nation wide) was selling a 3500 watt for $800 bucks at my local store, I looked on line today and it sells for $350 bucks on thier very own line store #-o man That is UNCOOL how they take advantage of people, pees me off :x

I will say Kudo's to Rural King, straight forward on price and no gouging that I seen, same price at my local store as is it on the line store, way to be guys =D>

I got my power back about 10pm last night. I've been running the chainsaw for 2 days in my yard and have a brushpile that will probably bee seen from space when I light it up.

They are cracking down hard on the price gouging around here. They were hammering people the very first day for that.

They are still saying upwards of a month before some people around here get their power back. I've never seen anything like the damage here before. It's like an enormous bush hog has been run over every tree in the country. All of them are missing their upper 1/3. It's a strange sight.

FishingBuds said:
Yea, Wacth The Ice Fallen :shock:

One more rant on the generator's, A certain supply store (known nation wide) was selling a 3500 watt for $800 bucks at my local store, I looked on line today and it sells for $350 bucks on thier very own line store #-o man That is UNCOOL how they take advantage of people, pees me off :x

I will say Kudo's to Rural King, straight forward on price and no gouging that I seen, same price at my local store as is it on the line store, way to be guys =D>

Everyone was price gouging after Katrina around here. It took them about a year, but the Fed's finally stepped in and prosecuted every provable case. There was several in my little town go to jail.

I'm glad the ice is finally melting for ya'll!! We went without power for 5 weeks after Katrina with 95-100 degree temps. I could not image loosing power with temps below freezing.

Jim, have you talked to WW?

I'm hearing that most of the Madisonville area is still without power and it's going to get cold for the next couple of days.

Quackrstackr said:
Jim, have you talked to WW?

I'm hearing that most of the Madisonville area is still without power and it's going to get cold for the next couple of days.

No! Hopefully he chimes in soon on the wifes iphone.

That's 7 since yesterday and it will go higher before it is over.

Hypothermia is probably going to become a factor again in the next couple of days. A buddy in Frankfort just told me that they have picked up 3" of snow in the last 1.5 hours.

Carbon monoxide poisoning is claiming several people as well.

I'm back at home now. :) Day before yesterday we went to my mother's (again), because my brother in Berea, KY (near Lexington) was bringing us a generator and kerosene heater to use. The half-way point for the both of us is my mother's house, about a 2.5 hr drive for both of us. Loaded the generator and heater in my truck, visited a bit, then hit the road for home. Walked in the house yesterday around 5:00pm.....................and my power was on! . I noticed when we pulled into the driveway that our neighbors generator wasn't running, so I thought he might have run out of fuel, but at that time we didn't know the power was back on.

There are crews form all over the place working on the downed power lines, poles, etc. I've seen trucks here from Sumter, SC and Mt. Airy, NC. Saw another convoy of utility trucks on the WK Pkwy headed this way on our way home yesterday. FEMA is here, but I haven't seen any of them yet. Still lots of people w/o power. One of our daughters and her kids are staying with us until their power is restored, and they live just 2 miles from here. Gonna take awhile to get this town and surrounding areas back to normal. If any of you guys have relatives or friends working on these crews from out of town, tell them thanks for everything they're doing!

WW - I'm glad you made it home safe and now have power... how is the clean up looking for you in the yard? Any damage to any of your belongings?

russ010 said:
WW - I'm glad you made it home safe and now have power... how is the clean up looking for you in the yard? Any damage to any of your belongings?

Thanks, Russ. No cleanup for me as I don't have any trees around my house (gladd I don't now). My neighbor has some very large oaks behind us and there are some big limbs down that crushed part of his chain-link fence he just had installed last year, and a couple of small ones fell on his roof, but no damge done. Other people weren't so lucky and rec'd damge from trees. Still lots of power lines and poles down, but the crews are working through the cold weather to get things restored. We were actually expecting to be w/o power for another week or so due to we're in the county and not part of the town power grid.

As was mentioned in above posts concerning gouging, I heard there was some low-life SOB selling kerosene heaters for $400 a piece, and then there was a semi truck loaded with chain saws and some off-brand low-wattage generators which would probably sell for around $300, and they were selling them (generators) for $1k a piece. Of course they've left town now. I hope the authorities locate them and prosecute them. There were about 3-4 guys and they were also driving an RV with Texas plates. I can't believe that they were allowed to setup in the Kroger parking lot, and they even had a little kiosk-type shack where they gladly did the transactions.

Waterwings said:
russ010 said:

Thanks, Russ. No cleanup for me as I don't have any trees around my house (gladd I don't now). My neighbor has some very large oaks behind us and there are some big limbs down that crushed part of his chain-link fence he just had installed last year, and a couple of small ones fell on his roof, but no damge done. Other people weren't so lucky and rec'd damge from trees. Still lots of power lines and poles down, but the crews are working through the cold weather to get things restored. We were actually expecting to be w/o power for another week or so due to we're in the county and not part of the town power grid.

As was mentioned in above posts concerning gouging, I heard there was some low-life SOB selling kerosene heaters for $400 a piece, and then there was a semi truck loaded with chain saws and some off-brand low-wattage generators which would probably sell for around $300, and they were selling them (generators) for $1k a piece. Of course they've left town now. I hope the authorities locate them and prosecute them. There were about 3-4 guys and they were also driving an RV with Texas plates. I can't believe that they were allowed to setup in the Kroger parking lot, and they even had a little kiosk-type shack where they gladly did the transactions.

Them sap suckers were in Evansville at Washington square mall a few days back :x

That was BULL!

Waterwings said:
russ010 said:

Them sap suckers were in Evansville at Washington square mall a few days back :x

That was BULL no one did anything about it!

Them sap suckers were in Evansville at Washington square mall a few days back

Nope, no one here did anything either. I think there should be some type of ordnance or law whereas people who do come to town to assist with supplies for sale and such, should have to have some type of on-spot check by the local authorities and check their prices before they even sell one item. If they don't/won't comply with standard prices then send them packing! :evil:

Waterwings said:
Them sap suckers were in Evansville at Washington square mall a few days back

Nope, no one here did anything either. I think there should be some type of ordnance or law whereas people who do come to town to assist with supplies for sale and such, should have to have some type of on-spot check by the local authorities and check their prices before they even sell one item. If they don't/won't comply with standard prices then send them packing! :evil:

I totally agree... nothing worse than somebody or some company trying to take advantage of people. Especially when so many other people are going above and beyond to lend a helping hand. I really wonder how people who do that to others in need can sleep at night.

Link to a few pictures: https://community.wpsdlocal6.com/photos/storm_photos/category1946.aspx

It is amazing to think how big of an area this thing affected. I drove to southeast MO this weekend, 2 hours one way. I never left the area with damage like in those pictures and it extends for hours in the opposite direction as well. The sheer number of utility poles snapped off in MO is mind boggling. I drove one, four mile stretch of road yesterday that only had 3 poles left standing the entire distance. I also saw some transmission lines (the ones on the 100' tall steel towers) and all of the towers were leaning about 10 degrees for as far as you could see.

Latest posts